Please send all announcements, fiber related articles, and classified ads for the next issue of The Flyer to newsletter editor Bob Devol (e-mail). Please include all contact information—including name, address (email and/or snail mail), important dates, and/or phone number.
- UPDATED 1/29/14 – February and March Meeting Moved: We are moving to rooms 206/208 for both the February and the March meeting. 206/208 are on the opposite (West) wing of the building and are located near the entrance just behind the church near the portable where we used to meet. We’ll post a map as part of our meeting reminder update later in the month.
- Membership Dues are Due: 2014 dues are due as of this month. Yearly membership is now $10 and is payable via cash or check made out to “TVHG.” If you have not already paid please do so by the February meeting if possible. Contact Erin Kramer if you have any questions.
- Show and Tell Ravelry Thread: In an effort to encourage the show and tell discussions the guild used to have at meetings, a show and tell thread has been revived on Ravelry. Everyone is invited to share current projects and works in progress as well as comment and inquire about others’ projects.
- Looking for a pattern for next month’s Hat Challenge? Here are some hat pattern listings on Ravelry that you can narrow down based on your finished yarn’s size and your yardage.
Upcoming Guild Programs:
- February: Special Event – Hat Challenge. Knit any hat you want using hand spun yarn only. This is not a contest, just a fun knit for show and tell.
- March/April: Special Event – Fleece Challenge. At our February meeting each participant will receive 3 oz. of washed cotswold fleece (or unwashed equivalent) and will create an object from the fleece. Participants may knit, crochet, felt, weave or use whatever skills desired. We will share created objects at our March and April meetings. Please note that this event is entirely for educational fun and is not a contest. Anyone interested should contact Erin Kramer and indicate whether a washed or unwashed fleece is desired. The cost of the fleece is $1.00 for unwashed and $3.00 for washed and participants are encouraged to bring exact change. Any members who have extra cards or combs who would be willing to share are asked to let Erin know and bring their equipment to the February meeting. Dog combs will also work as fiber prep tools.
- May: Program – TBA
- June: Show and Tell
“We need everyone that wanted to teach a class at the SMFAF to go to the website www.smokymountainfibertartsfestival.org and send in their information. There are also have a few spots available vendor spots…and we need demonstrators during the festival. Also, I will have the new tote bags for sale with new logo on it. They are $10 each. The more bags we have circulating the more we will have advertisements out.”